Monday, February 25, 2008

Every Time, Every Ride, Helmets Save Lives

By: Darlene M. Cox

darlc5@aol.com

Whenever we saddle up and head out on the trails for a nice relaxing ride, the furthest thing from our mind is that we may end up having to spend time in a hospital emergency room due to a fall from our horse; however, those of us who are seasoned riders know that it is not a matter of "if" I fall from the saddle, but "when". We are subject to possible ejection each and every time we sit in the saddle. There are so many factors that can play into any unexpected dismount: rider error, terrain inconsistencies, unexpected stimuli causing a horse to react; tacking issues/problems, etc. The list could go on and on.

Traumatic brain injury is the most highly attributable cause of horse-related injuries and mortality events. Horseback riders sustain more head injuries than participants in other sporting and recreational events such as football, hockey, and bicycling. Yet, those who participate in the sport of leisure trail riding are less likely to protect themselves when enjoying the avocation of horseback riding.

Throughout the many years that I have actively campaigned for rider safety, I have heard many excuses from riders not wanting to wear helmets. Some of those excuses are: "I trust/know my horse", "My horse is well trained", "My horse is bomb-proof", "I'm a skilled rider", "Cowboys don't wear helmets", "You've got to go sometime", "I don't like helmet hair", "Helmets are too hot/heavy/cumbersome". It is evident that sometimes vanity, machismo, and pride prevent some from providing themselves with the life saving protection from riding accidents that helmets afford.

I was once one of those people who felt that helmet wearing was a sign of weakness; either in my own riding ability or in trust of my horse's training. That was until I personally witnessed someone who sustained and irreparable traumatic brain injury. My friend's accident occurred 20 years ago, and she remains wheelchair bound and cognitively challenged as a result of her brain injury. Her wearing a helmet on that fateful day those many years ago would have prevented such serious injury. It was a sobering moment for me, and from that point forward I have worn a helmet each and every time I have mounted a horse.

Many states within the United States, as well as other countries have laws and/or governing regulations that require children wear helmets when riding. Mandates within many public and private riding entities require helmets be worn by riders. While I would not be an opponent of a government implied law requiring all equestrians to wear a helmet, I would first like to see an increase in the number of riders who personally want to provide protection from head injuries for themselves.

Today's helmets are light weight and comfortable. There are several styles and types from which to choose, not to mention a myriad of colors. Riding helmets should bear the "ASTM" or "SEI" seal, which indicates they have been tested for protection and durability. Finding a helmet that you can comfortably ride in is quite possible if not ascertained.

I have read somewhere that it only takes 21 days of repetitious action to transform an action into habit. I would challenge each of you who currently do not wear a helmet when riding to begin developing this habit. Every time, every ride; the life you save will be your own.

Happy trails!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! That video may have saved my daughter's life.

She fell earlier this week while wearing her helmet, which split. She sustained a concussion but she's not dead or in a wheelchair!

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

You're right -- in 21 days it could be a habit. Just wish it didn't mess up my hair (but I still wear it). Messed up hair is far better than messed up brains.

Unknown said...

I've been riding on and off for close to twenty years and I've always worn a helmet--it was drilled into me by my parents, my instructors, and everybody in the barn I started out in. I had gotten out of riding and wanted to start again, and was walking along on a supposedly bombproof school horse who suddenly took off bucking and galloping. I'm a good rider, but after several bucks, one caught me off guard and I got launched.

I was thrown into a pole, hard enough that I have a spinal fracture (transverse process, so no risk of paralysis). Despite hitting my head into the iron legs of a bench, I only have a mild concussion. Without a helmet, I could easily have been killed. According to the EMTs, the helmet also absorbed the shock of the impact which could otherwise have caused a cervical spinal fracture, paralyzing me.

Parents, never ever allow your child on a horse, even if they're on a leadline, without a certified helmet. Adults ought to know better, but even if you're the sort to buy into the BS reasons not to wear one, they just aren't valid anymore. When I started riding, helmets were heavier and much more expensive, but you just don't have those lame excuses anymore. Certified helmets cost as little as $40 and even at this price are lightweight and well ventilated.

Anonymous said...

There are no guarantees but I like stacking the odds in my favor. Never had to wear seat belts as a kid- now we know it saves lives. I have been a neurotrauma ICU nurse and head injuries happen so easily. Those sharp little projections in our skull act just like a Ginsu knife, while our brain bounces around in fluid banging from side to side with the force of a hit, shaken babies have far less force than a fall off a 17 hand high horse jumping a high jump, and we know how tragic that is. So many woulda, coulda, shoulda's, have donated their organs and left behind loved ones who ask why? This year I have had 2 bad falls, first one chipped my helmet, I was okay, but I bought a new helmet because it was not intact. Last week I had another bad fall, beside breaking my pelvis the whole back left side of my helmet is cracked and caved in. I would be blind or worse if not for that helmet. I don't care how pretty you are, no one looks good drooling down their face, or needing their bottoms cleaned. I watch the trainers ride, the hero's for our kids, who want to ride like them, and they don't put on a helmet. Hmmm.., bad teaching? I made a fine jar at our barn, adults caught riding without a helmet are fined a buck. WE haven't figured out which charity, maybe Christopher Reeves, course his injury was a spinal cord but something along those lines. Many injuries occur just grooming, so having a helmet on then isn't a bad idea either.

Unknown said...

I found out the hard way that you don't have to be on the horse to get badly hurt. You should still wear a helmet even when leading a horse. I was leading my mare and looking back and she swung her head back, hit me in the back of the head, knocked me down on my butt hard. At this point I fractured my spine and hit my head on the ground causing a concussion and temporary amnesia.... Emergency room here I come. 3 days later I was home but couldn't remember ANY of the accident except what I was told. I purchased two helmets... one for me and one for my husband and intend on wearing them on the ground and on the horse. I'm hoping I can ride again in the near future but I have to find out from the doctor when that will be. I have a NEW horse that is older and calmer.